Garlic, a staple ingredient in many kitchens, is also known for its impressive health benefits. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make a simple garlic salve that can be used as a natural remedy for minor skin irritations, cuts, and insect bites. With just a few ingredients, you can create this soothing and aromatic salve that harnesses the power of garlic for your wellbeing.
- 1/4 cup of organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 cloves of fresh Oaky Creek Farm garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of organic beeswax pellets
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- A clean, airtight container for storage
- Prepare the garlic-infused oil: a. Peel and mince the garlic cloves finely. b. In a small saucepan, combine the minced garlic and olive oil. c. Gently heat the mixture over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, making sure the oil does not boil or overheat. This process will allow the garlic’s healing properties to infuse into the oil. d. Remove the saucepan from heat and let the oil cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain the garlic-infused oil: a. Using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, strain the oil into a heatproof container, separating the garlic bits from the oil. b. Discard the garlic bits and set the infused oil aside.
- Melt the beeswax: a. In a double boiler, melt the beeswax pellets over low heat. Alternatively, you can use a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan with simmering water. b. Once the beeswax has melted completely, remove it from heat.
- Combine the ingredients: a. Slowly pour the garlic-infused oil into the melted beeswax, stirring continuously to blend well. b. Add the lavender essential oil (if using) and mix thoroughly. The lavender oil not only adds a pleasant scent but also has soothing and antiseptic properties.
- Pour and store: a. Carefully pour the warm mixture into your clean, airtight container. b. Allow the salve to cool and solidify at room temperature. This may take a few hours.
- Usage: a. To use the garlic salve, apply a small amount to the affected area and gently massage it in. b. Store the salve in a cool, dark place, and use it within six months for maximum potency.
Garlic salve is an easy-to-make, natural remedy that harnesses the healing properties of garlic. This homemade salve is perfect for soothing minor skin irritations and promoting healing. Give it a try and enjoy the benefits of Oaky Creek Farm’s fresh garlic in a new and therapeutic way.